The Gathering
[table width=350 style="background:white;border:silver 1px solid; padding:3px;margin-left:5px"][tr][td]Operation Butterfly Admini10[/td]
[td]

Welcome to the anything and everything forum, The Gathering.[/td][/tr]

[tr][td colspan="2"]You may either choose to log-in, or register if you have not yet joined! TG contains a plethora of organic content that is sure to spark your interests.

We hope you enjoy your visit.

Sincerely, Cjanz, Donald Williams, JaketheSnake, MasonK565 and Silent_Brad
Forum Staff
[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Gathering
[table width=350 style="background:white;border:silver 1px solid; padding:3px;margin-left:5px"][tr][td]Operation Butterfly Admini10[/td]
[td]

Welcome to the anything and everything forum, The Gathering.[/td][/tr]

[tr][td colspan="2"]You may either choose to log-in, or register if you have not yet joined! TG contains a plethora of organic content that is sure to spark your interests.

We hope you enjoy your visit.

Sincerely, Cjanz, Donald Williams, JaketheSnake, MasonK565 and Silent_Brad
Forum Staff
[/td][/tr][/table]
The Gathering
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Extras

Gallery

Operation Butterfly Empty
Poll

Which 3 (Or less) in 1997?

Operation Butterfly I_vote1010%Operation Butterfly I_vote11 10% [ 1 ]
Operation Butterfly I_vote1040%Operation Butterfly I_vote11 40% [ 4 ]
Operation Butterfly I_vote100%Operation Butterfly I_vote11 0% [ 0 ]
Operation Butterfly I_vote1020%Operation Butterfly I_vote11 20% [ 2 ]

Total Votes : 10

Latest topics
» Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'The Hangover Part II' (2011)
Operation Butterfly EmptyMon May 30, 2011 8:52 pm by Timma1986

» Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Apocalypse Now' (1979)
Operation Butterfly EmptyMon May 23, 2011 9:07 pm by Timma1986

» Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Almost Famous' (2000)
Operation Butterfly EmptyTue May 17, 2011 6:54 pm by Timma1986

» AGGRON!
Operation Butterfly EmptySun May 15, 2011 8:25 pm by ZIMMER1994

» Anybody Collect Anything?
Operation Butterfly EmptyThu May 05, 2011 11:04 pm by lakeg

» Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Shaun of the Dead' (2004)
Operation Butterfly EmptyThu May 05, 2011 9:40 pm by Timma1986

» Original Riffs
Operation Butterfly EmptyTue May 03, 2011 1:43 am by Cjanz

» Which 2011 sequel are you most excited for?
Operation Butterfly EmptyMon May 02, 2011 9:26 pm by MasonK565

» RELEASE!
Operation Butterfly EmptyMon May 02, 2011 9:24 pm by MasonK565

Affiliates

Operation Butterfly IVIBanner4Kopie

Operation Butterfly Get-attachment-1_reasonably_small

The Open World Project is trying to raise money so that a school in Nepal can get at least two laptops with internet access. This could change the world for a generation of children.

Support Us!

Follow TG!

Operation Butterfly

Go down

Operation Butterfly Empty Operation Butterfly

Years ago when I was a new teacher and given to doing crazy things to excite the learners in my classroom, I did a terrible thing and I knew I would have to work hard to get my students to forgive me. I was teaching art to grades one through twelve and each day was a dead run from class to class and from one school to another. I got to see my grade school kids once each week for forty minutes so I had a very short time to capture their interest and keep them excited about art. Because I didn’t have the kids in my class every day, I struggled to build the sense of community that I wanted them to have while they were in my room. I started thinking that a mascot of some kind would help my students feel connected to my classroom. I didn’t know what would be best, a rabbit, a mouse, a lizard or some other pet but I was spending a lot of time thinking about it. As it turned out, fate would come to lend a hand in the near future.

I very much savored the time I got to spend with my wife and our pet dog and cat and in the evening we would walk together and talk about the day’s events. We were an odd family and it must have been funny to see my wife and I walking along, followed by a small poodle and a gray cat. One fall evening as we walked along, I noticed a dead butterfly and picked it up. As we looked at this still beautiful insect, we noted a small tatter on one wing. We wondered why it had died and after some discussion I couldn’t bring myself to put it back on the ground. Eventually we decided to take it home. It’s not easy being married to an artist as we take a lot of strange things home and rarely discard anything once it’s there. I placed the butterfly in a box on the matle when we got home before I washed my hands for dinner.

As many teachers do, I worked a second job on weekends to earn extra money and that Saturday, I found myself scraping and painting a house twenty miles from home. As I worked in the chilly morning air I saw what might have been a solution to my mascot question. There on a nearby twig, was a beautiful caterpillar. It was striped in bright colors and happily eating a leaf. I thought this creature might just make a nice mascot and my kids could learn about insect life-cycles by watching it eventually emerge from it’s chrysalis. I collected it and took it home with me at the end of the day. When I got home, I introduced the insect, I now called Harvey to my wife who approved of my plan. I found a jar and placed Harvey inside with a few leaves and a twig.

That next Monday my students were excited to meet Harvey and were quick to become interested in the future transformations of this exotically-colored creature. I set him on a shelf, taking the opportunity to tell all of my classes about him as they visited. In a short time, Harvey attached himself to the twig and made his chrysalis. This was a very exciting happening at the time but once he was inside, he receded into the environment, giving way to the exciting paintings, drawings and ceramics that we created daily. I didn’t know what kind of creature I had in the jar. Would he be a moth or a butterfly? We didn’t care, it was clear that the kids would love him no matter what he looked like. I wondered how we would release him back into nature and thought that some sort of; good-luck-Harvey ceremony might be appropriate.

The days passed and one morning when I arrived at school and checked Harvey’s jar, I noticed some very big had happened. Harvey was a butterfly and we had missed the whole event. Looking at the beautiful butterfly, I noticed a problem, a big problem. Harvey was too big for the jar. His wings had extended as far as they could and hardened but they were still partially curled up. As the kids looked on, we took him out and it was clear that his wings were going to be shaped oddly for his entire life span. We were sad and kids asked what would happen to him. I told them I would take him home and see what we could do.

My wife too was sad when she saw Harvey, who now rode on my shirt, free of his jar. What will we do? she asked. I don’t know, I said. I looked Harvey up in a book and found that he was a swallowtail. I felt guilty, looking at the pictures of perfect butterflies in the book. He was different and would always be and he didn’t even know or seem to care. I began to worry about him though for I knew he had to eat and that he wouldn’t be flying from flower to flower, drinking nectar. I thought about this for a long time and eventually decided to try to make him some home made butterfly food. I mixed sugar and water and put it in a spoon. I then held him above the spoon and watched.

From the books I had learned that Harvey had a proboscis that he could use to insert into flowers and drink nectar. It was long and coiled up but he extended it to probe and taste objects nearby in a short time he extended it into the waiting spoon. He loved the sugar water and drank for some time. My wife and I were delighted to know that we had a butterfly that we could feed and that night he joined us on our walk. Two people, a dog, a cat and a funny looking butterfly. We were an odd family indeed.

I updated my students and they were happy to know that Harvey was doing well. He lived in my house and I fed him and left nectar dishes where he could reach them when I was gone. From the books I learned that Harvey would have a short life of about thirty days and I intended to make sure that his would be as happy as possible. I was doing a lot of guessing about how to care for a butterfly but I like to think he enjoyed his walks with us and his time being a part of our family.

Then it happened, I had a thought, a crazy thought. It wouldn’t work, it couldn’t work, but I couldn’t stop thinking about it. The dead Monarch butterfly has wings, almost perfect wings and Harvey didn’t. I asked my wife one evening, what would happen if I tried to attach these wings onto Harvey? You’re crazy, she said, you can’t do that, how will you attach them? I thought about this for a while and said, superglue! What!, she said, good grief you’ll kill him! No I said, I’ll use a needle to apply a very small amount, exactly where the wings attach. You’re on your own, she said, I don’t want to see the creation of a butterfly Frankenstein.

I was nervous! Was this a mistake? Was I crazy? How do you attach new wings to a butterfly? I thought about the procedure and how it might work. I would cut off Harvey’s wings but leave enough of the old wings to attach to new ones to. I’d have to keep him very still during the operation but once the wings were on, Harvey might fly for the first time in his short life.

I gathered the implements, super glue in a small lid, tweasers, a needle, scissors and the Monarch. I carefully clipped each Monarch wing off, being careful to damage them as little as possible. There was the issue of that small tatter in one wing but I felt that this set of wings was much, much better than the wings Harvey wore. With everything in place, I began to operate.

I couldn’t immobilize Harvey, he was moving about and I realized that such a precise set of maneuvers was going to be a challenge with a moving patient. I snipped off Harvey’s curled up wings one at a time, being careful to leave enough of a base to glue the new wings onto. Once his four wings were removed, he looked a bit like a walking-worm. He was doing fine so far. Carefully I lined up the first of the Monarch wings. I dabbed the end of it will a bit of superglue on the needle tip and placed it on what was left of Harvey’s wing nub. I blew on it gently and it stayed in place. I then did the opposite wing in an effort to keep harvey balanced. After this wing was affixed, I started his lower two wings. In a few minutes, Harvey was the proud owner-wearer of upgraded Monarch wings and what’s more, he was moving them. Up and down they moved as he tried them out. I gave him a few minutes and with my wife looking at him with a mix of disbelief and startled amazement, Harvey jumped.

He flew about fifteen feet, to the other end of the living room before landing. I can’t believe that the Wright Brothers were any happier that day in Kittyhawk than I was with Harvey’s flight. We took him outside and let him practice but none of his flights were longer. I didn’t know if this was due to the tatter in one of the wings or the operation in general but he never flew well enough for us to let him go.

We kept Harvey in our home, occasionally taking him outside and to school where amazed students looked him over in wonder at the Swallowtail who now now wore Monarch wings. In his short life Harvey endured a lot. He was good natured, loved sugar water and seemed proud of his wings. He was a Monarch, a king to my kids, my wife and me. I have been working on a children’s book based on this experience, parts of it are on this network. It is called: The Monarch of Castleton.
kevinh
kevinh

Male
Registration date : 2008-07-13

http://kevinhoneycutt.org

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

Operation Butterfly :: Comments

macncheese101

Post Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:18 pm by macncheese101

that's a really cool story, kev....

Back to top Go down

Spishnittlestick

Post Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:40 am by Spishnittlestick

I was totally captivated by your entire endeavor.

You certainly know how to tell a story very well. It's funny you posted this, too, because I had a friend that did something similar. She found a wounded butterfly, took it home, and fed it sugar water while she tried to get it to recover.

It says a lot about a person ... having the heart, patience, and compassion to aid something so small ... something that so many people would consider expendable. I always have exceptional respect for those who watch out for the little guy, and I'm all for helping out animals (after all, I am a vegan xD)

So, it's great to see these traits in you, and while I really don't know you well at all (Though I'm guessing you're Ben's dad [great kid, btw. Super kind and very easy to openly converse with about a various range of meaningful topics. Just figured I would get that out there Wink ]) I have elevated respect for you, that's for sure.

Karma +1.

Smile

It's a great idea that you want to make this a children's book. I'm all for it. First of all, anything to get kids to read early in life is excellent. Second, I'm an artist too, so I know that it's the artist that truly shines in kid book production Smile

And I feel your pain as an art teacher. I'm one of very few serious students at my school when it comes to art. I email my art teacher often, and she just let me borrow a bag full of paints, canvas, gesso, easels, etc, for the summer. I know how irritated she gets when kids don't take art the way it's meant to be taken ("seriously" isn't the right word ... maybe I'm looking for "compassionately?"). It can be disheartening, even from the eyes of a student.

Oh, and in addition, I completely understand the desire to take random things home. Artists do a lot of silly things. Today I asked a girl about as old as I if I could take a few pictures of her dog to use as reference pictures. It had a watch eye, so it really stirred my love for the concept of duality. I wish I had gotten her name or facebook or something, as I like to share my work with those that inspired it. It'll almost feel unresolved now xD

Sorry for such a lengthy comment, and sorry for going off on tangents. The bottom line is that what you did was very benevolent. The wing transplanting makes me a little uneasy ... it's difficult to make decisions when animals can't consent, but truly, I'm sure the butterfly was very liberated with his new set of wings.

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum