The Gathering
[table width=350 style="background:white;border:silver 1px solid; padding:3px;margin-left:5px"][tr][td]Out too soon... Admini10[/td]
[td]

Welcome to the anything and everything forum, The Gathering.[/td][/tr]

[tr][td colspan="2"]You may either choose to log-in, or register if you have not yet joined! TG contains a plethora of organic content that is sure to spark your interests.

We hope you enjoy your visit.

Sincerely, Cjanz, Donald Williams, JaketheSnake, MasonK565 and Silent_Brad
Forum Staff
[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Gathering
[table width=350 style="background:white;border:silver 1px solid; padding:3px;margin-left:5px"][tr][td]Out too soon... Admini10[/td]
[td]

Welcome to the anything and everything forum, The Gathering.[/td][/tr]

[tr][td colspan="2"]You may either choose to log-in, or register if you have not yet joined! TG contains a plethora of organic content that is sure to spark your interests.

We hope you enjoy your visit.

Sincerely, Cjanz, Donald Williams, JaketheSnake, MasonK565 and Silent_Brad
Forum Staff
[/td][/tr][/table]
The Gathering
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Extras

Gallery

Out too soon... Empty
Poll

Which 3 (Or less) in 1997?

Out too soon... I_vote1010%Out too soon... I_vote11 10% [ 1 ]
Out too soon... I_vote1040%Out too soon... I_vote11 40% [ 4 ]
Out too soon... I_vote100%Out too soon... I_vote11 0% [ 0 ]
Out too soon... I_vote1020%Out too soon... I_vote11 20% [ 2 ]

Total Votes : 10

Latest topics
» Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'The Hangover Part II' (2011)
Out too soon... EmptyMon May 30, 2011 8:52 pm by Timma1986

» Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Apocalypse Now' (1979)
Out too soon... EmptyMon May 23, 2011 9:07 pm by Timma1986

» Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Almost Famous' (2000)
Out too soon... EmptyTue May 17, 2011 6:54 pm by Timma1986

» AGGRON!
Out too soon... EmptySun May 15, 2011 8:25 pm by ZIMMER1994

» Anybody Collect Anything?
Out too soon... EmptyThu May 05, 2011 11:04 pm by lakeg

» Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Shaun of the Dead' (2004)
Out too soon... EmptyThu May 05, 2011 9:40 pm by Timma1986

» Original Riffs
Out too soon... EmptyTue May 03, 2011 1:43 am by Cjanz

» Which 2011 sequel are you most excited for?
Out too soon... EmptyMon May 02, 2011 9:26 pm by MasonK565

» RELEASE!
Out too soon... EmptyMon May 02, 2011 9:24 pm by MasonK565

Affiliates

Out too soon... IVIBanner4Kopie

Out too soon... Get-attachment-1_reasonably_small

The Open World Project is trying to raise money so that a school in Nepal can get at least two laptops with internet access. This could change the world for a generation of children.

Support Us!

Follow TG!

Out too soon...

Go down

Out too soon... Empty Out too soon...

Yesterday as I sat in the park in my little city, I noticed a little bird hopping toward me. At first I thought it was a regular bird that hadn’t seen me because the creature was getting much closer to me that birds normally do. Upon closer inspection, I realized that it was a young bird who’s feathers had not fully formed and that it’s hopping was by necessity. I carefully approached the bird and quickly it’s mother darted at me and lighted on the ground very nearby. This parent was risking life and wing to protect the bird that had somehow fallen out of the nest. I worried about this bird as it and it’s mother hopped away toward some trees. How would it get back into the nest long enough to fully mature? Would neighborhood cats have it for dinner in the interim?
As a child I encountered many such birds and set out to correct the accident of circumstance that stranded them on dangerous ground, only to see them hop right back out of the nest immediately. It was as if once they’d left the nest, they could ever settle for settling in and waiting to mature. It was heart breaking knowing that these birds were likely doomed.
Yesterday as I relived those past frustrations with trying to save unsaveable birds, I began to think about the many at-risk learners I’d worked with in my teaching career. They were like the lost birds in many ways. Hopping toward danger without a clue, unwilling to return to safe places in which they could safely mature. Many without a parent willing to light on the ground near them and protect them from dangers they’d find. I wondered what we as teachers could do to buy these kids time to safely grow up.
The digital world moves so fast that kids can go farther, faster than ever before. This can be an amazing truth for motivated learners and a scary one when it comes to kids with low self esteem, bent on self destruction.
As I watch the mother blue jay dart at the neighbor’s cat or the robin land between her over-curious baby and the child with a stick, I think of the advocates of my troubled past. These teachers, librarians, lunch ladies and janitors who offered un-asked-for advice. They seemed ever-present as if waiting to swoop down and save me from my own behavior. I know that every kids needs an advocate. The ones who are hardest to help need it the most and that helping these kids is not without danger.
Every school school should have plans for these kids who’ve fallen or been pushed out of the nest too soon. Good teachers have always been nest-builders but the shape of the nest is ever-changing and there are many ways to jump out if we aren’t aware of them. Facebook, Myspace, cell phones and video games are just a few new ways kids can jump but they are also ways kids can launch and fly. The determining factor in my mind is a teacher/mentor who knows enough about today’s choices and tools to help kids know the difference.
Teachers are beautiful people who go out of their way and take risks to protect and develop youngsters who are often hard to love while their feathers are short. I admire the ones who can see these kids fully developed and flying when most of the world sees them as ugly things, hopping around, looking for trouble.
kevinh
kevinh

Male
Registration date : 2008-07-13

http://kevinhoneycutt.org

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

Out too soon... :: Comments

Cjanz

Post Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:57 pm by Cjanz

If more teachers had this outlook there would be a significant increase in the will to learn. So many kids are neglected at home, only to go to school and receive the same treatment.

There are teachers, and then there are teachers who go out of their way to do the job they were hired for. It's the latter that makes a difference in this world, and when these kids know that someone actually cares, it can change their entire perspective.

Thanks so much for your insight, Kevin.

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum