The Gathering
[table width=350 style="background:white;border:silver 1px solid; padding:3px;margin-left:5px"][tr][td]Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Due Date' (2010) Admini10[/td]
[td]

Welcome to the anything and everything forum, The Gathering.[/td][/tr]

[tr][td colspan="2"]You may either choose to log-in, or register if you have not yet joined! TG contains a plethora of organic content that is sure to spark your interests.

We hope you enjoy your visit.

Sincerely, Cjanz, Donald Williams, JaketheSnake, MasonK565 and Silent_Brad
Forum Staff
[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Gathering
[table width=350 style="background:white;border:silver 1px solid; padding:3px;margin-left:5px"][tr][td]Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Due Date' (2010) Admini10[/td]
[td]

Welcome to the anything and everything forum, The Gathering.[/td][/tr]

[tr][td colspan="2"]You may either choose to log-in, or register if you have not yet joined! TG contains a plethora of organic content that is sure to spark your interests.

We hope you enjoy your visit.

Sincerely, Cjanz, Donald Williams, JaketheSnake, MasonK565 and Silent_Brad
Forum Staff
[/td][/tr][/table]
The Gathering
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Extras

Gallery

Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Due Date' (2010) Empty
Poll

Which 3 (Or less) in 1997?

Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Due Date' (2010) I_vote1010%Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Due Date' (2010) I_vote11 10% [ 1 ]
Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Due Date' (2010) I_vote1040%Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Due Date' (2010) I_vote11 40% [ 4 ]
Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Due Date' (2010) I_vote100%Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Due Date' (2010) I_vote11 0% [ 0 ]
Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Due Date' (2010) I_vote1010%Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Due Date' (2010) I_vote11 10% [ 1 ]
Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Due Date' (2010) I_vote1020%Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Due Date' (2010) I_vote11 20% [ 2 ]
Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Due Date' (2010) I_vote100%Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Due Date' (2010) I_vote11 0% [ 0 ]

Total Votes : 10

Latest topics
» Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'The Hangover Part II' (2011)
Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Due Date' (2010) EmptyMon May 30, 2011 8:52 pm by Timma1986

» Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Apocalypse Now' (1979)
Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Due Date' (2010) EmptyMon May 23, 2011 9:07 pm by Timma1986

» Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Almost Famous' (2000)
Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Due Date' (2010) EmptyTue May 17, 2011 6:54 pm by Timma1986

» AGGRON!
Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Due Date' (2010) EmptySun May 15, 2011 8:25 pm by ZIMMER1994

» Anybody Collect Anything?
Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Due Date' (2010) EmptyThu May 05, 2011 11:04 pm by lakeg

» Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Shaun of the Dead' (2004)
Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Due Date' (2010) EmptyThu May 05, 2011 9:40 pm by Timma1986

» Original Riffs
Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Due Date' (2010) EmptyTue May 03, 2011 1:43 am by Cjanz

» Which 2011 sequel are you most excited for?
Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Due Date' (2010) EmptyMon May 02, 2011 9:26 pm by MasonK565

» RELEASE!
Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Due Date' (2010) EmptyMon May 02, 2011 9:24 pm by MasonK565

Affiliates

Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Due Date' (2010) IVIBanner4Kopie

Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Due Date' (2010) Get-attachment-1_reasonably_small

The Open World Project is trying to raise money so that a school in Nepal can get at least two laptops with internet access. This could change the world for a generation of children.

Support Us!

Follow TG!

Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Due Date' (2010)

Go down

Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Due Date' (2010) Empty Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Due Date' (2010)

Post by Timma1986 Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:31 pm

Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Due Date' (2010) DueDate-101020-0006
'Due Date' offers laughs, but nothing special.

Everyone needs a laugh. This has been true since (and long before) the dawn of cinema. Every generation of actors has its fair share of comedic masters. In the early days of film, it was Charlie Chaplin. In the mid-1900s, everyone loved Jerry Lewis. People like John Belushi and Chevy Chase dominated the 70s. The 80s famed such stars as John Candy (R.I.P.), Leslie Nielsen (R.I.P.), and Steve Martin. And from the 90s emerged stars like Jim Carrey, Adam Sandler, and (unfortunately) Ben Stiller. But nowadays, people are discovering the talents to make people laugh in stars who have established themselves beforehand as dramatically skilled. Case in point...Robert Downey, Jr. One of the bright new stars of the 2000s co-stars in this wild road trip film...Zack Galifianakis, who was arguably the most beloved character of 2009's 'The Hangover'. Todd Phillips, who also directed that film, reunites with Galifianakis in this comedy. But is it in the same league as the former film?

Plot Synopsis (Possible Spoilers Below):

Peter Highman (Robert Downey, Jr.) is a father in the making. His personality, however, is cripplngly flawed. He is a border-line social retard, with no consideration of others' feelings. His wife (Michelle Monaghan) is due for a C-Section in less than a week. Peter is tasked with simply making it to L.A. in time for the birth of his child. However, this proves difficult when a flamboyant aspiring actor named Ethan Tremblay (Zach Galifianakis) accidentally switches bags with him at the airport (which results in extra screening from security). However, this blows over okay, and Highman makes it onto the plane. But Tremblay strikes again and lands Highman on the No-Fly list. Stranded in Atlanta without a means of transportation, Highman turns to desperate measures...and reluctantly tags along with the eager-to-help Tremblay, who offers to drive Highman to L.A. with him. As Highman is on a very tight schedule, he becomes increasingly annoyed with Ethan's complete disregard of his time. The cross-country ride gets more and more tense...and more and more wild from there. Can Peter Highman even manage to bear witness to the birth of his first child?

In terms of laughs, the film delivers. There are a couple very welcome cameos in the film. Juliette Lewis makes a brief appearance as a pharmacist who specializes in medical marijuana...as Ethan Tremblay "needs" the cannabis for his glaucoma. Second is Jaime Foxx, who makes an extended cameo as Peter's best friend...with very comic results. Let me put it this way...you'll be sure to check twice before you turn on the coffee maker. And while these appearances are brilliant, the film's inconsistent momentum is carried by Downey, Jr. and Galifianakis, both of whom are very funny actors. Galifianakis' character is not all that different from his 'Hangover' role. He is gleefully oblivious to the problems going on around him. He is convinced of his normality and skill, though he is perhaps a bit more homosexually flamboyant in this film. But it all works. Junior is brilliant as always. His deadpan delivery counterbalances with Galifianakis' colorful personality.

In terms of originality, the film falls flat, however. While there are inspired moments of comedic genius present, there's nothing new to say on road trips. The formula remains the same. Disaster will surely delay the trip at least 5 times. Drug use will always occur, whether it is a habit of the characters or not. One of the participants in said trip will lose his mind (albeit temporarily). And ultimately, the final destination is always reached. It'd be nice to see some alterations to this.

Is the film original? Not really. Is it funny? Yes. It's certainly not perfect, but it is still good entertainment and is consistently funny. It is well-worth your time if you're simply wanting to cheer up with a good laugh.

Final Consensus: 'Due Date' is not a bad film, nor is it a good film. It offers laughs, but no inspired originality. All in all, it is a good late-night comedy to enjoy while eating popcorn.

Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Due Date' (2010) 224725 2.5/4 Stars
Timma1986
Timma1986

Male
Interests : I love acting, improv, and movies. I like to write my movie reviews whenever I go see a new film. I also enjoy reading and playing video games, and occasionally playing basketball.
Registration date : 2011-03-16

Back to top Go down