The Gathering
[table width=350 style="background:white;border:silver 1px solid; padding:3px;margin-left:5px"][tr][td]Why is it you love what you love? Admini10[/td]
[td]

Welcome to the anything and everything forum, The Gathering.[/td][/tr]

[tr][td colspan="2"]You may either choose to log-in, or register if you have not yet joined! TG contains a plethora of organic content that is sure to spark your interests.

We hope you enjoy your visit.

Sincerely, Cjanz, Donald Williams, JaketheSnake, MasonK565 and Silent_Brad
Forum Staff
[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Gathering
[table width=350 style="background:white;border:silver 1px solid; padding:3px;margin-left:5px"][tr][td]Why is it you love what you love? Admini10[/td]
[td]

Welcome to the anything and everything forum, The Gathering.[/td][/tr]

[tr][td colspan="2"]You may either choose to log-in, or register if you have not yet joined! TG contains a plethora of organic content that is sure to spark your interests.

We hope you enjoy your visit.

Sincerely, Cjanz, Donald Williams, JaketheSnake, MasonK565 and Silent_Brad
Forum Staff
[/td][/tr][/table]
The Gathering
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Extras

Gallery

Why is it you love what you love? Empty
Poll

Which 3 (Or less) in 1997?

Why is it you love what you love? I_vote1010%Why is it you love what you love? I_vote11 10% [ 1 ]
Why is it you love what you love? I_vote1040%Why is it you love what you love? I_vote11 40% [ 4 ]
Why is it you love what you love? I_vote100%Why is it you love what you love? I_vote11 0% [ 0 ]
Why is it you love what you love? I_vote1010%Why is it you love what you love? I_vote11 10% [ 1 ]
Why is it you love what you love? I_vote1020%Why is it you love what you love? I_vote11 20% [ 2 ]
Why is it you love what you love? I_vote100%Why is it you love what you love? I_vote11 0% [ 0 ]

Total Votes : 10

Latest topics
» Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'The Hangover Part II' (2011)
Why is it you love what you love? EmptyMon May 30, 2011 8:52 pm by Timma1986

» Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Apocalypse Now' (1979)
Why is it you love what you love? EmptyMon May 23, 2011 9:07 pm by Timma1986

» Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Almost Famous' (2000)
Why is it you love what you love? EmptyTue May 17, 2011 6:54 pm by Timma1986

» AGGRON!
Why is it you love what you love? EmptySun May 15, 2011 8:25 pm by ZIMMER1994

» Anybody Collect Anything?
Why is it you love what you love? EmptyThu May 05, 2011 11:04 pm by lakeg

» Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Shaun of the Dead' (2004)
Why is it you love what you love? EmptyThu May 05, 2011 9:40 pm by Timma1986

» Original Riffs
Why is it you love what you love? EmptyTue May 03, 2011 1:43 am by Cjanz

» Which 2011 sequel are you most excited for?
Why is it you love what you love? EmptyMon May 02, 2011 9:26 pm by MasonK565

» RELEASE!
Why is it you love what you love? EmptyMon May 02, 2011 9:24 pm by MasonK565

Affiliates

Why is it you love what you love? IVIBanner4Kopie

Why is it you love what you love? Get-attachment-1_reasonably_small

The Open World Project is trying to raise money so that a school in Nepal can get at least two laptops with internet access. This could change the world for a generation of children.

Support Us!

Follow TG!

Why is it you love what you love?

3 posters

Go down

Why is it you love what you love? Empty Why is it you love what you love?

Post by Cjanz Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:28 pm

Let's use this thread to talk about the things we love most about the music we listen to, and why our individual tastes mean so much to us.

I'm going to cheat and paste something I posted on facebook not too long ago. It's long, so I don't blame you if you don't read it.

Why do I like the music that I like?

I debate this almost daily, and for those of you who don't know -- I listen to Death Metal, Black Metal, Deathcore, Technical Death Metal, Progressive Metal, Grindcore, Deathgrind, Hardcore, and some Metalcore. Outside of that mix, I enjoy Classic Rock, Classical and Grunge quite a lot as well. I despise modern Pop, and could ultimately do without Country and Rap altogether.

The point of this note is to answer all of your questions, and to address a lot of concerns and misconceptions. I think I'll start off by going out on a limb and stating that I don't think I would be writing this note if I didn't live in Kansas -- surprise, surprise. I also don't feel as though I'm obligated to explain, but my hope is that some people will see what I listen as more than "noise" after reading this.

Typically, the reaction I get from people who inquire about my musical tastes is a look of repulsion or the question of "how can you listen to that awful music?!". In turn, I'd like to ask them how they can listen to Country, Modern Rock, Pop, Rap, or any other genre that sounds awful to me, but more often than not, I don't. It's a respect issue, and it seems like when someone hears me talk about what I listen to there are no boundaries. Ranging from labeling it satanic to not being music at all. This brings me to the conclusion that for whatever reason, because it's different, what I listen to loses all appreciation because you have to look deeper than the guttural vocals and blistering guitars/drums. While I understand that most simply cannot stand the sound of what I listen to, can you at least recognize the musicianship? I grow quite weary of explaining over and over again the magnificence that lies beneath the surface. It's like yielding my thoughts and opinions to nothing more than deaf ears.

If you want to know how I see it, or my general perception of what I listen to -- here it is. What I hear is power, endless emotion, assertive ideas and theories, an array of musical talents, lyrical genius, and so much more that this note would not even be able to contain. When I hear the growling and screaming, not only can I make out most of the lyrics, but I correlate every fluctuation of the vocal range to that of just another instrument. For me, it's like adding an entirely different perspective to things. I am very aware of the fact that, once again, most people wouldn't see it this way but is it not ludicrous to stoop as low to say that what I listen to isn't music? It may not be beautiful to you, but it is that and so much more for me.

I guess I'd just like to conclude this note (for the sake of preventing this from becoming an endless wall of text) by saying that the next time you want to question my tastes, or anyone else for that matter, try making use of their perspective and applying it in a way that at least allows you to see beyond that first layer of judgment. If you have no more than ignorant comments to spew keep them to yourself, and try to open your mind to something new. If you can't do that, at least give me enough confidence to know that you actually have the ability to appreciate more than what meets the ear.
Cjanz
Cjanz
Admin
Admin

Male
Interests : New music, philosophy, technology in general, culture, language, religion, and debate
Registration date : 2008-06-19

http://www.the-gathering.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Why is it you love what you love? Empty Re: Why is it you love what you love?

Post by VioletVenom Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:46 pm

Aye you are right Cjanz.

Well I love symphonic power metal/black metal.

I love how powerful it sounds. It sounds a lot more epic to me than any other form of metal. I find myself feeling more emotional almost. Like how deathcore might make you angry, except I feel a lot more bewildered and amazed. It just never gets old.

I've also taken a liking to opera, oddly enough. I think my love for Nightwish has done this. It really opened my eyes to this whole other genre I thought I'd never enjoy. I find the depth and range of operatic vocals to be the most appealing.
VioletVenom
VioletVenom
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Female
Location : Buried in the thick fog of Oregon's beautiful forests
Registration date : 2008-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by JakeTheSnake Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:54 pm

My tastes are weird. I don't have a set genre of music I listen to all the time. I kind of go through phases of artists I listen to. Right now it's Nick Cave. Amazing lyrcist.
JakeTheSnake
JakeTheSnake

Male
Registration date : 2008-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down