The Gathering
[table width=350 style="background:white;border:silver 1px solid; padding:3px;margin-left:5px"][tr][td]Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Paranormal Activity 2' (2010) Admini10[/td]
[td]

Welcome to the anything and everything forum, The Gathering.[/td][/tr]

[tr][td colspan="2"]You may either choose to log-in, or register if you have not yet joined! TG contains a plethora of organic content that is sure to spark your interests.

We hope you enjoy your visit.

Sincerely, Cjanz, Donald Williams, JaketheSnake, MasonK565 and Silent_Brad
Forum Staff
[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Gathering
[table width=350 style="background:white;border:silver 1px solid; padding:3px;margin-left:5px"][tr][td]Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Paranormal Activity 2' (2010) Admini10[/td]
[td]

Welcome to the anything and everything forum, The Gathering.[/td][/tr]

[tr][td colspan="2"]You may either choose to log-in, or register if you have not yet joined! TG contains a plethora of organic content that is sure to spark your interests.

We hope you enjoy your visit.

Sincerely, Cjanz, Donald Williams, JaketheSnake, MasonK565 and Silent_Brad
Forum Staff
[/td][/tr][/table]
The Gathering
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Extras

Gallery

Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Paranormal Activity 2' (2010) Empty
Poll

Which 3 (Or less) in 1997?

Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Paranormal Activity 2' (2010) I_vote1010%Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Paranormal Activity 2' (2010) I_vote11 10% [ 1 ]
Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Paranormal Activity 2' (2010) I_vote1040%Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Paranormal Activity 2' (2010) I_vote11 40% [ 4 ]
Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Paranormal Activity 2' (2010) I_vote100%Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Paranormal Activity 2' (2010) I_vote11 0% [ 0 ]
Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Paranormal Activity 2' (2010) I_vote1010%Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Paranormal Activity 2' (2010) I_vote11 10% [ 1 ]
Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Paranormal Activity 2' (2010) I_vote1020%Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Paranormal Activity 2' (2010) I_vote11 20% [ 2 ]
Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Paranormal Activity 2' (2010) I_vote100%Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Paranormal Activity 2' (2010) I_vote11 0% [ 0 ]

Total Votes : 10

Latest topics
» Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'The Hangover Part II' (2011)
Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Paranormal Activity 2' (2010) EmptyMon May 30, 2011 8:52 pm by Timma1986

» Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Apocalypse Now' (1979)
Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Paranormal Activity 2' (2010) EmptyMon May 23, 2011 9:07 pm by Timma1986

» Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Almost Famous' (2000)
Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Paranormal Activity 2' (2010) EmptyTue May 17, 2011 6:54 pm by Timma1986

» AGGRON!
Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Paranormal Activity 2' (2010) EmptySun May 15, 2011 8:25 pm by ZIMMER1994

» Anybody Collect Anything?
Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Paranormal Activity 2' (2010) EmptyThu May 05, 2011 11:04 pm by lakeg

» Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Shaun of the Dead' (2004)
Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Paranormal Activity 2' (2010) EmptyThu May 05, 2011 9:40 pm by Timma1986

» Original Riffs
Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Paranormal Activity 2' (2010) EmptyTue May 03, 2011 1:43 am by Cjanz

» Which 2011 sequel are you most excited for?
Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Paranormal Activity 2' (2010) EmptyMon May 02, 2011 9:26 pm by MasonK565

» RELEASE!
Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Paranormal Activity 2' (2010) EmptyMon May 02, 2011 9:24 pm by MasonK565

Affiliates

Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Paranormal Activity 2' (2010) IVIBanner4Kopie

Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Paranormal Activity 2' (2010) Get-attachment-1_reasonably_small

The Open World Project is trying to raise money so that a school in Nepal can get at least two laptops with internet access. This could change the world for a generation of children.

Support Us!

Follow TG!

Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Paranormal Activity 2' (2010)

Go down

Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Paranormal Activity 2' (2010) Empty Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Paranormal Activity 2' (2010)

Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Paranormal Activity 2' (2010) Paranormal-activity-2
'Paranormal Activity 2' is a chilling movie experience.

$10,000 can take you a LONG way. In 2009, 'Paranormal Activity' proved that. On the aforementioned budget, the film went on to become a box office smash, and even managed to make an impression on the critics. Using the same camera technique (known by some to be the "found footage" genre) that skyrocketed films like 'Blair Witch Project' and 'Cloverfield', 'Paranormal Activity' used precision-balanced build-up and tension to achieve the ultimate jump-out-of-your-seat moments. And as it turns out, audiences loved it. Based on the success of the first film, the filmmakers have decided that throwing in a few more bucks (and a few more scares) will ultimately equal a few more million bucks. But does this sequel live up to its predecessor?

Plot Synopsis (Possible Spoilers Below):
The film opens in September 2006 (which is a month before the events of the first film). Daniel Rey along with his wife, Kristi; daughter, Ali; toddler son, Hunter, and their dog, move to Carlsbad, California. A burglary happens a few days later, however. Though nothing is stolen, the family is shaken. To stop future occurences, a number of security cameras are installed that will record everything on a DVR. After they hire a Spanish-speaking nanny to look after Hunter, she informs them that there is something wrong in their house and performs prayers, which greatly annoys Daniel, who ultimately decides to fire her. He soon regrets this decision as more strange and frightening incidents occur, with Ali concluding, after doing some research, that their house may be possessed by a demon.

Now this film is also quite intertwined with its predecessor, as Kristi is actually Katie's (from the first film; also makes several appearances in this one) sister. At about the same time things start kicking off in the Reys' home, things are already quite escalated in the home of Katie and Micah. All in all, the connections work quite well. The film is very well edited.

But is this film scary? Does it offer the chills that its predecessor did? Surprisingly, it does. It actually goes a little overboard with the thrills and scares. Whereas the first film was very patient, and was not hesitant to keep audiences waiting for a scare, 'Paranormal Activity 2' is eager to get the audiences to cower next to their significant other...and keep them there. The film starts off quite slow and tense, but after the first act, the breathing room is minimal inbetween scares. Am I saying this is necessarily a bad thing? No. But does it shame the concept of build-up? Maybe a little. But the scares are undeniably well-filmed, which makes the entertainment value overshine the fast pace at which the spine-tingling moments are released.

All in all, this is a scarier film than its 2009 predecessor. While it may not ultimately be a BETTER film, it is still the choice recommendation I provide if you are simply looking for a reason to get some cuddling action on your movie date (at home obviously, as the film has long since left the cinemas). It is not, by definition of the word, cliche, but it undoubtedly carries familiar elements of horror. But for all its flaws, this movie is well worth your time and your personal space (as your girlfriend will be taking it; or if you're a girl, you won't want any space).

Final Consensus: In many ways, 'Paranormal Activity 2' is inferior to its predecessor. However, it also outshines the former film via more thrills and more edge-of-your-seat scares.

Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Paranormal Activity 2' (2010) 224725 3/4 Stars

Last edited by Timma1986 on Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot my star rating)
Timma1986
Timma1986

Male
Interests : I love acting, improv, and movies. I like to write my movie reviews whenever I go see a new film. I also enjoy reading and playing video games, and occasionally playing basketball.
Registration date : 2011-03-16

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit