The Gathering
[table width=350 style="background:white;border:silver 1px solid; padding:3px;margin-left:5px"][tr][td]Legacy Admini10[/td]
[td]

Welcome to the anything and everything forum, The Gathering.[/td][/tr]

[tr][td colspan="2"]You may either choose to log-in, or register if you have not yet joined! TG contains a plethora of organic content that is sure to spark your interests.

We hope you enjoy your visit.

Sincerely, Cjanz, Donald Williams, JaketheSnake, MasonK565 and Silent_Brad
Forum Staff
[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Gathering
[table width=350 style="background:white;border:silver 1px solid; padding:3px;margin-left:5px"][tr][td]Legacy Admini10[/td]
[td]

Welcome to the anything and everything forum, The Gathering.[/td][/tr]

[tr][td colspan="2"]You may either choose to log-in, or register if you have not yet joined! TG contains a plethora of organic content that is sure to spark your interests.

We hope you enjoy your visit.

Sincerely, Cjanz, Donald Williams, JaketheSnake, MasonK565 and Silent_Brad
Forum Staff
[/td][/tr][/table]
The Gathering
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Extras

Gallery

Legacy Empty
Poll

Which 3 (Or less) in 1997?

Legacy I_vote1010%Legacy I_vote11 10% [ 1 ]
Legacy I_vote1040%Legacy I_vote11 40% [ 4 ]
Legacy I_vote100%Legacy I_vote11 0% [ 0 ]
Legacy I_vote1020%Legacy I_vote11 20% [ 2 ]

Total Votes : 10

Latest topics
» Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'The Hangover Part II' (2011)
Legacy EmptyMon May 30, 2011 8:52 pm by Timma1986

» Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Apocalypse Now' (1979)
Legacy EmptyMon May 23, 2011 9:07 pm by Timma1986

» Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Almost Famous' (2000)
Legacy EmptyTue May 17, 2011 6:54 pm by Timma1986

» AGGRON!
Legacy EmptySun May 15, 2011 8:25 pm by ZIMMER1994

» Anybody Collect Anything?
Legacy EmptyThu May 05, 2011 11:04 pm by lakeg

» Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Shaun of the Dead' (2004)
Legacy EmptyThu May 05, 2011 9:40 pm by Timma1986

» Original Riffs
Legacy EmptyTue May 03, 2011 1:43 am by Cjanz

» Which 2011 sequel are you most excited for?
Legacy EmptyMon May 02, 2011 9:26 pm by MasonK565

» RELEASE!
Legacy EmptyMon May 02, 2011 9:24 pm by MasonK565

Affiliates

Legacy IVIBanner4Kopie

Legacy Get-attachment-1_reasonably_small

The Open World Project is trying to raise money so that a school in Nepal can get at least two laptops with internet access. This could change the world for a generation of children.

Support Us!

Follow TG!

Legacy

2 posters

Go down

Legacy Empty Legacy

Post by ZIMMER1994 Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:53 pm

So lately I've been really stuck on the idea of legacy: what it is, what it means, how you create one, and what mine will be. The "legacy" I've become interested in is not so much whether I will "be remembered" or not. I know there are people who will remember (maybe even miss me) when I'm gone, but I also know that there are many more who won't care. It is simply the unconcern of the universe. The type of "legacy" that truly piques my interest is much more about tradition, what larger lasting idea(s) have I become a part of. They say that you can only truly judge a president 50 years after he has left office. If this is true, how long does it take to truly evaluate the life of a high school student, a high school career, a day after graduation, a month, a year, four years, a decade? Or is it something that is constantly being established, being evaluated, and evolving? The second point of a "legacy" I care about is if I have been a role model or a leader. Have I lived up to the standards my role models and heroes have set for me? Will the next generation look to what I have done for inspiration, are they watching me already? I believe a legacy is what defines any man's time on Earth. I can only hope that what I leave behind is worth something.

I'm looking for your opinion on anything I've mentioned in this brief rambling. How do you feel about what my legacy will be (if you know me)? What does legacy mean to you? Do you think a legacy even matters? What do you hope to leave behind?

Last edited by ZIMMER1994 on Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar issue)
ZIMMER1994
ZIMMER1994
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

Male
Interests : freeing myself through unrestrained thought
Registration date : 2010-12-14

Back to top Go down

Legacy Empty Re: Legacy

Post by Cjanz Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:23 pm

The idea of legacy is profound and even complex to consider, but I think simplicity lies in how often many of us probably wonder what exactly it is we're leaving behind.

In the question of death and how it surrounds our lives (we are, after all, beings towards death) it no longer becomes a question of how one can live, but how one can die. Death is one of the most immortalizing aspects of life because it could be a flagrant tragedy or something as inconsequential (though still painful for those around them) as a car wreck. I think the effects of death are always localized. For those who are close to the person, they will remember that person for the traits they were familiar with. On the other hand, when it comes to a more widespread effect, people are less concerned with personality and more so in the qualities that might make one something of a tragic hero.

When it comes to how we feel individually in terms of what we're leaving behind I think it is important to ask yourself how much it matters to you. Would you prefer the localized effect or the widespread effect?

The thought of unconcern is frightening to a degree. People exist and die without us ever knowing. This is why achieving a more universal effect on others through your death can seem so insurmountable - but do the masses really matter?

Personally, I prefer the localized level of my own tragedy. Those who know me are the ones who care - the ones who matter. Who knows, after 50 years, there may be a profoundness discovered in an inconsequential death and you may be immortalized after all.

EDIT: By the way, this is a great Debate Corner topic. I'll move it there!
Cjanz
Cjanz
Admin
Admin

Male
Interests : New music, philosophy, technology in general, culture, language, religion, and debate
Registration date : 2008-06-19

http://www.the-gathering.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum