The Gathering
[table width=350 style="background:white;border:silver 1px solid; padding:3px;margin-left:5px"][tr][td]The Korea Situation Admini10[/td]
[td]

Welcome to the anything and everything forum, The Gathering.[/td][/tr]

[tr][td colspan="2"]You may either choose to log-in, or register if you have not yet joined! TG contains a plethora of organic content that is sure to spark your interests.

We hope you enjoy your visit.

Sincerely, Cjanz, Donald Williams, JaketheSnake, MasonK565 and Silent_Brad
Forum Staff
[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Gathering
[table width=350 style="background:white;border:silver 1px solid; padding:3px;margin-left:5px"][tr][td]The Korea Situation Admini10[/td]
[td]

Welcome to the anything and everything forum, The Gathering.[/td][/tr]

[tr][td colspan="2"]You may either choose to log-in, or register if you have not yet joined! TG contains a plethora of organic content that is sure to spark your interests.

We hope you enjoy your visit.

Sincerely, Cjanz, Donald Williams, JaketheSnake, MasonK565 and Silent_Brad
Forum Staff
[/td][/tr][/table]
The Gathering
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Extras

Gallery

The Korea Situation Empty
Poll

Which 3 (Or less) in 1997?

The Korea Situation I_vote1010%The Korea Situation I_vote11 10% [ 1 ]
The Korea Situation I_vote1040%The Korea Situation I_vote11 40% [ 4 ]
The Korea Situation I_vote100%The Korea Situation I_vote11 0% [ 0 ]
The Korea Situation I_vote1020%The Korea Situation I_vote11 20% [ 2 ]

Total Votes : 10

Latest topics
» Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'The Hangover Part II' (2011)
The Korea Situation EmptyMon May 30, 2011 8:52 pm by Timma1986

» Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Apocalypse Now' (1979)
The Korea Situation EmptyMon May 23, 2011 9:07 pm by Timma1986

» Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Almost Famous' (2000)
The Korea Situation EmptyTue May 17, 2011 6:54 pm by Timma1986

» AGGRON!
The Korea Situation EmptySun May 15, 2011 8:25 pm by ZIMMER1994

» Anybody Collect Anything?
The Korea Situation EmptyThu May 05, 2011 11:04 pm by lakeg

» Tim's Movie Review of the Day: 'Shaun of the Dead' (2004)
The Korea Situation EmptyThu May 05, 2011 9:40 pm by Timma1986

» Original Riffs
The Korea Situation EmptyTue May 03, 2011 1:43 am by Cjanz

» Which 2011 sequel are you most excited for?
The Korea Situation EmptyMon May 02, 2011 9:26 pm by MasonK565

» RELEASE!
The Korea Situation EmptyMon May 02, 2011 9:24 pm by MasonK565

Affiliates

The Korea Situation IVIBanner4Kopie

The Korea Situation Get-attachment-1_reasonably_small

The Open World Project is trying to raise money so that a school in Nepal can get at least two laptops with internet access. This could change the world for a generation of children.

Support Us!

Follow TG!

The Korea Situation

+3
bigdaddyt
Cjanz
somedeadidiot
7 posters

Go down

The Korea Situation Empty The Korea Situation

Post by somedeadidiot Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:36 pm

How far do you think it will go?

Personally, I'm entirely undecided on what may happen.
somedeadidiot
somedeadidiot
Star Member
Star Member

Male
Location : The Milky Way Galaxy, Take a Left, and walk 3 miles.
Interests : Music. Music. Music.
Registration date : 2008-07-16

http://www.you.justgotowned.com

Back to top Go down

The Korea Situation Empty Re: The Korea Situation

Post by Cjanz Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:39 pm

I'm pretty sure that the threat of escalation is up in the air. Kim is completely unpredictable and the Pyongyang presents a formidable economic and militaristic threat.
Cjanz
Cjanz
Admin
Admin

Male
Interests : New music, philosophy, technology in general, culture, language, religion, and debate
Registration date : 2008-06-19

http://www.the-gathering.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bigdaddyt Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:45 am

But wut, would you do think are military will do?
bigdaddyt
bigdaddyt

Male
Interests : Small groups/ debate/ forensics/ hang out with friends/ Have fun//
Registration date : 2010-12-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Donald Williams Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:50 am

We need to be incredibly careful with North Korea, not because of the country itself, but because of China's interest in the region. I highly doubt that China would simply allow our influence to expand throughout North Korea, it would be similar to the US allowing China to take control of Mexico. This situation could escalate quite quickly if we do not address it wisely.
Donald Williams
Donald Williams
Admin
Admin

Male
Interests : Life, Writing, Women ;), History, Debate.

https://the-gathering.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bigdaddyt Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:51 am

Keeeppopp pppeeeaaacccceeee!
bigdaddyt
bigdaddyt

Male
Interests : Small groups/ debate/ forensics/ hang out with friends/ Have fun//
Registration date : 2010-12-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Cjanz Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:50 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/15/world/asia/15nukes.html

WASHINGTON – The Obama administration has concluded that North Korea’s new plant to enrich nuclear fuel uses technology that is “significantly more advanced” than what Iran has struggled over two decades to assemble, according to senior administration and intelligence officials.

In carefully worded public comments in recent days, both senior American and South Korean officials have also argued that the the new plant, afacility shown to a Stanford University expert last month, could not have been constructed so quickly unless there was a sophisticated network of other secret sites — and perhaps a fully running uranium enrichment plant — elsewhere in the country.

These conclusions strongly suggest that North Korea has evaded the many layers of economic sanctions imposed by the United Nations Security Council and America’s allies in Asia. The conclusions also greatly complicate the task for American diplomats — including a senior delegation of State Department and White House officials who left for China on Tuesday — who have been struggling for weeks now to fashion a plan to contain North Korea’s nuclear advances and prevent a repetition of its recent attack on the South.

North Korea already has the fuel for six to a dozen weapons and has conducted two nuclear tests, a capability it developed from harvesting plutonium from a recently shuttered nuclear reactor. The uranium enrichment facility could give the country another pathway to increasing its nuclear arsenal.

But in interviews American officials said that was not their main concern.

Instead, they are worried that the real intent of showing off the new capability to the Stanford expert, Sigfried S. Hecker, a former director of Los Alamos National Laboratory, and two of his Stanford colleagues, was to advertise North Korea’s wares. Dr. Hecker said he was “stunned” that North Korea had succeeded in building the plant so quickly.

Last Friday, Gary Samore, President Obama’s chief nuclear adviser, said for the first time that “the North Korean program appears to be much more advanced in and efficient than the Iranian program, which is running into problems.” Reports from international inspectors indicate that the Iranians are experimenting with advanced centrifuges, but have not installed them on an industrial scale, despite years of efforts. Those efforts have been slowed by sabotage, officials said.

“The U.S. and its allies are doing everything we can to try to make sure that we complicate matters for them,” Mr. Samore added.

After alluding to a secret North Korean effort to help Syria build an entire nuclear reactor, which was ultimately destroyed by Israel in a 2007 bombing raid, Mr. Samore said that the new North Korean centrifuges could be attractive to other nations. He added that “a critical element” of American strategy must now be “to insure that the North Koreans don’t sell to the Middle East.”

But that has been attempted before, and efforts to halt shipments have been spotty at best. According to secret State Department cables made public by Wikileaks, the United States believes North Korea successfully shipped 19 advanced missiles to Iran five years ago, and that other technology has passed through the Beijing airport on its way to Iran.

Three weeks after North Korea’s nuclear revelations, the United States, China, Japan and South Korea have been unable to fashion a response, even a common agreement to crack down on further transactions. “The Chinese admit this was a huge violation of North Korea’s previous commitments to denuclearize,” one senior official said last week, “but they don’t say what we should do about that, other than to re-enter the same old negotiations again, which we are not going to do.”

A week ago, in Beijing, several Chinese officials and academics who deal with North Korean issues argued it would be counterproductive to seek more sanctions or resolutions at the United Nations Security Council — all efforts that have been tried before, and that have largely failed.

“It only makes them speed up,” one former senior Chinese official said.

American, South Korean and Chinese officials have all acknowledged in recent days that despite their intense focus on the North’s efforts to obtain uranium enrichment technology, they all missed the assembly of the plant at Yongbyon, North Korea’s main nuclear complex. The area is under intense scrutiny from American satellites, but the new plant was built inside an old structure – and satellites cannot see through the roof. Intelligence officials have said in the past that they have few human spies in North Korea with access to the most sensitive facilities.

Oftentimes, breakthroughs have come through cooperation with allied intelligence services. It was South Korea that first notified Washington, a decade ago, that North Korea was buying components for uranium enrichment. It was the head of Israel’s Mossad who came to Washington in 1997 and dropped photographs of the North Korean-built nuclear reactor in Syria on the coffee table of Stephen J. Hadley, President Bush’s national security adviser.

But American intelligence officials argue that they have documented North Korea’s efforts for years, and the revelation of the new facility only confirmed what has long appeared in intelligence reports. “It’s no surprise to anyone that they have been working on uranium enrichment — we’ve known that for a decade,” said one senior official involved in the adminsitration’s counter-proliferation efforts. “The surprise is that they have succeeded in technologies that are still driving the Iranians crazy.”

They caution that it is not clear the North Koreans can get the new facility running: Dr. Hecker was given a quick, carefully limited view, and could not confirm the centrifuges were running. But what he saw was enough to convince him, and American intelligence experts, that the facility could not have been built that fast unless a network of centrifugre contruction facilities and uranium processing plants existed elsewhere.

“It is likely that North Korea had been pursuing an enrichment capability long before the April, 2009 date it now claims,” Glyn Davies, the American ambassador to the International Atomic Energy Agency, the United Nations nuclear watchdog, said last week. If so, he said, there was a clear likelihood that North Korea “has built other uranium enrichment-related facilities in its territory.”
Cjanz
Cjanz
Admin
Admin

Male
Interests : New music, philosophy, technology in general, culture, language, religion, and debate

Back to top Go down

Post by JakeTheSnake Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:01 pm

I'm not sure how I should feel about this other than I am not surprised in the slightest.
JakeTheSnake
JakeTheSnake

Male
Registration date : 2008-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Cjanz Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:04 pm

The whole nuclear arms race scenario is interesting enough. I just can't believe that we've somehow managed to organize ourselves enough to prevent total (accidental even) annihilation.

Should I be impressed or apprehensive? Probably both.
Cjanz
Cjanz
Admin
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by somedeadidiot Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:56 pm

Cjanz wrote:The whole nuclear arms race scenario is interesting enough. I just can't believe that we've somehow managed to organize ourselves enough to prevent total (accidental even) annihilation.

Should I be impressed or apprehensive? Probably both.

It'd be scared, as is seems pretty inevitable, and every day without disaster is a day closer to possible apocalypse.
somedeadidiot
somedeadidiot
Star Member
Star Member

Male
Location : The Milky Way Galaxy, Take a Left, and walk 3 miles.
Interests : Music. Music. Music.
Registration date : 2008-07-16

http://www.you.justgotowned.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cjanz Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:05 am

No sense in worrying about it, really, though. There's nothing that will ever justify securitization, but there's also nothing that will ever change by and large the way most people think.
Cjanz
Cjanz
Admin
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by JakeTheSnake Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:18 pm

Yeah I mean it's really out of our hands, whatever happens happens.
JakeTheSnake
JakeTheSnake

Male
Registration date : 2008-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Donald Williams Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:21 pm

I recently viewed a harrowing video in which cameramen snuck into North Korea and interviewed many of its starving citizens....I must admit, I was deeply shaken and now, I'm hoping North Korea's tyrannical regime soon collapses for the benefit of its people.
Donald Williams
Donald Williams
Admin
Admin

Male
Interests : Life, Writing, Women ;), History, Debate.

https://the-gathering.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBoorbarian Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:12 pm

I have been reading up on the Korea situation and have found that they plan an attack on South Korea in March. This seems to be an indication of how crazy and tyrannical the NoKo regime is.
TheBoorbarian
TheBoorbarian

Male
Registration date : 2010-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Cjanz Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:21 pm

Meh...seems like Kim Jong Il plans to attack the world every day. I don't know if I can take him seriously.
Cjanz
Cjanz
Admin
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MasonK565 Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:12 pm

Loooool, I have to agree with Cjanz's comment.
MasonK565
MasonK565
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male
Interests : Music, comics, movies
Registration date : 2010-12-09

Back to top Go down

Post by JakeTheSnake Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:25 pm

Yeah I don't think anything will happen, another false alarm
JakeTheSnake